He is thought to have been involved with the design of the high altar and the carved timber canopy, or baldacchino above the altar.
He arrived in the town on 25 July 1861 with two fellow priests, one of whom, Father Tissot, remained in Maryborough as the first parish priest.
The building had a steeply pitched gabled roof clad with shingles.
Side aisles extended the length of the four-bay nave and these were lined with double lancets.
The timber building was erected principally as a school house, but used as a service centre when Hanley's replacement, Dean Rigby visited Maryborough.
After the separation of the State of Queensland in 1859, the Roman Catholic Church formed the Brisbane Diocese encompassing the entire state.